The Betterment Network Mission

The mission of THE BETTERMENT NETWORK is to connect and support members on their journey to a better life.

The mission statement above reflects the goals of The Betterment Network. When I was first enlightened to the Law of Attraction in The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, I was so excited- I tried to share with family and friends. But no one I knew personally was interested in my profound discovery.

What I wanted was a network of friends that I could lean on and offer support to in attaining a life full of positive energy, gratitude and being connected to source. The Betterment Network was created so like minded people could get together to support one another in our journey.

This blog is the foundation of The Betterment Network but we also have a greater presence on Facebook and Twitter. We truly value comments, feedback, suggestions and ideas. Please join The Betterment Network and let us know how we can support you on a journey to an amazing life. You can also email me at bettermentnetwork@gmail.com

NEW
- Also on Facebook, we now have a group that allows for interaction among followers. Post questions, offer tips and share inspiration. Look for The Betterment Network Gratitude Journal

THANK YOU
Shop thousands of custom products

Monday, June 25, 2012

Declutter for Charity

One year ago this month, my husband and I pulled out a  4 draw cabinet to make way for a dishwasher. I found new homes for the items in 3 of the draws but a forth draw, full of kitchen gadgets and utensils, still sits unsorted and unused one year later. It dawned on me this morning that it has been sitting there for a full year. The reality is, if I haven't used or needed those items in the past year, I really don't need to save anything in that draw.

Last night I was reading in the paper about a local benefit for a high school classmate who has terminal cancer. They are seeking donations for an auction on her behalf. There was a classified ad from the local animal shelter looking for donations for their thrift shop. And of course there is always the local drop off bins for Goodwill or Salvation Army, both of which are always grateful for donations.

Before the holidays I went thru my kids rooms and pulled out stuff they no longer play with. Anything donatable was bagged up and dropped off in one of those bins. Not only was I trying to make room for the new stuff I knew Santa would bring, but also I like to donate what I can. But aside from the occasional cleaning out of my own closet - I don't very often sort thru my other stuff for items I can donate to charitable causes.

November and December seem to be the "The Season of Giving" but what about the other 10 months of the year? Giving doesn't mean just writing a check to some charity - and in this economy - not many of us have extra cash lying around! But go throughout your home, assess each item - is it something you really want or need - and if not  - get rid of it. Not only will you declutter your home, but you are giving someone else a chance to enjoy it.

When you give, you feel good about yourself and send good thoughts out into the universe. And the universe will respond in kind, but really, giving is not about ourselves. We shouldn't be giving just so we can feel good about ourselves and hopefully gain something in return. We should be giving because it is the right thing to do - no matter how small the gesture is. No matter where you live, there is a charity that accepts donations of household items - yes, even used kitchen gadgets! Start with one item and donate it to that charity. Everyone has something they no longer want or need that they can part with!



Your donation is three fold. It helps you get rid of stuff you no longer need - freeing up more space - and gives you the pleasure of doing a good deed. Not too shabby in my book!

The person buying the item from the thrift shop or charitable auction gets to enjoy something you no longer 'love' and most likely, get it for a good deal as well. And with the economy as it is right now, a lot of people can use a good deal!

And finally, it gives the charity an opportunity to sell the donated item for revenue that will ultimately benefit someone or something (I like to give to the local animal shelter).

Seriously - how great is that? An infinite number of people (including you) could benefit from you just clearing out your home of stuff you no longer want or need. Giving is the right thing to do, no matter what the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment