The Betterment Network Mission

The mission of THE BETTERMENT NETWORK is to connect and support members on their journey to a better life.

The mission statement above reflects the goals of The Betterment Network. When I was first enlightened to the Law of Attraction in The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, I was so excited- I tried to share with family and friends. But no one I knew personally was interested in my profound discovery.

What I wanted was a network of friends that I could lean on and offer support to in attaining a life full of positive energy, gratitude and being connected to source. The Betterment Network was created so like minded people could get together to support one another in our journey.

This blog is the foundation of The Betterment Network but we also have a greater presence on Facebook and Twitter. We truly value comments, feedback, suggestions and ideas. Please join The Betterment Network and let us know how we can support you on a journey to an amazing life. You can also email me at bettermentnetwork@gmail.com

NEW
- Also on Facebook, we now have a group that allows for interaction among followers. Post questions, offer tips and share inspiration. Look for The Betterment Network Gratitude Journal

THANK YOU
Shop thousands of custom products

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Giving From The Heart - For Free - It's Priceless

The holiday season is upon us. Time for giving. It’s funny how this is defined as the season of giving when everyone should be giving year round. I am as guilty as the next person. I tend to be more friendly, generous and caring during this time of year, but I like to think of myself as a giving person because that is how I want to be thought of.

I called an elderly friend the other day that I hadn’t spoken to in a very long time. I could tell by her voice how excited and happy that little bit of my time made to her. It didn’t cost me anything (cell phone) yet it meant so much to her. And I enjoyed the conversation as much as she did.

Giving - as we all know – should come from the heart. It doesn’t need to come wrapped in fancy paper and pretty bows. Love, acceptance, respect and caring are gifts we can give now – but should be giving year round.

As most of us this holiday season struggle with financial hardships – remember that true giving is priceless, yet costs nothing. Call someone that you haven’t spoken to in a long time or send someone a good old fashion note (ok – costs postage- so not free but still well worth the cost of a stamp). I was going through the stack of Christmas cards I received last year and I pulled out one to save. (Aside from the photo cards of course). This card was a plain store bought card from an old school friend that I haven’t seen for a while. She had taken the time to write inside a little note to me that thanked me for attending her fathers funeral that year and how it meant a lot to her. She also commented that her father always thought a lot of me. She didn’t have to include this note in her card, but she took the time to do so and her words meant a lot to me. It cost her nothing extra – she was already going to mail me the card- but her extra effort was truly appreciated. It was from the heart. It was what Giving is all about.

I’m not the most creative person in the world, but here are some other true GIVING ideas. If you feel the need to present something to a loved one – make up a handmade gift certificate with your intentions clearly spelled out. (i.e. The bearer of this gift certificate is entitled to an afternoon of free childcare in my home)

For spouses:
A romantic dinner at home for two
A massage
A handmade collage of reasons why you love him/her
Offer to take out the trash for a week, month, year!
Set out their coffee mug with a love note tucked inside for that early riser
Leave an I Love You in an unexpected place- briefcase, suitcase, lunch bag, computer screen
 
For kids:
Tuck a note into their school bag/lunchbox telling them you love them and/or how proud you are of them
Spend time on the floor playing with them and their toys
Give random hugs and kisses
Turn off the television and pull out the board games
Eat dinner together
Ask a child to help prepare the meal – kids love to cook!
Pick your child up from school unexpectedly instead of having them ride the bus – gives bonding time!
 
Others:
Pick up the phone ~ reach out and touch someone
Send a letter – I love getting handwritten letters, as do most people
Offer to watch a friends child(ren) so they can have a night out or quality time alone
Offer to walk a dog – good exercise for both of you
Invite a friend over for a cup of coffee or tea – having someone to talk to is good cheap therapy
Offer to run an errand for an elderly person during cold snowy/icy weather
Offer to bring a meal to an elderly person – better yet- make it a monthly tradition
Brings some home grown flowers or veggies to someone who could use cheering up or fresh produce
 
 
The list is endless of possibilities. In this season of giving – we could all be giving more. But not of our money. Give gifts from the heart. Gifts of your time is probably something all your loved ones want this holiday season. Chances are, if you give, you will get back so much more! And that to me is priceless!



No comments:

Post a Comment